On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 08:19:34 +0100 Stefan Schmidt <ste...@datenfreihafen.org>
said:

> Hello.
>
> On Tue, 2013-12-10 at 14:32, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > On Mon, 9 Dec 2013 20:23:39 -0500 Michael Blumenkrantz
> > <michael.blumenkra...@gmail.com> said:

> > > there was no "re spin" as you call it. the tarballs sent to the list were
> > > PREVIEW tarballs, and it was explicitly stated that they may or may not
> > > have been the final release tarballs for those versions. you absolutely
> > > could not have done the same thing, as you did not send your prepared
> > > tarballs to any lists prior to doing the release.
> >
> > so i downloaded rc1. is mine fixed? :) you didn't answer that. how do i
> > know if its the respin or not before i download it?
> >
> > even for rc's if there is a re-generate at sall it should get a new name for
> > the archive. rc2, rc3, rc4 etc. imho
>
> It is clear what you mean. The problem is that we want to publish
> tarballs _before_ we make them final. Even for rc or alphas.
>
> I agree that the way I updated the tarball was a bit problematic. I
> see two ways out of this. a) a staging area where we upload tarballs
> for testing and only move them over to the final destination once we
> call them final or b) do as you suggest and increment the number
> every time the tarball changes but keep it on the correct location.
>
> The later could also cause confusion when you have to bump the number
> in to short time to allow more testing. Like you fixed one problem,
> re-upload with higher number and do it again shortly afterwards for
> another bug. You wanted to release 1.8.1 but end up with 1.8.3 within
> a day before the actual announcement. We could do rc's for stable
> updates as well.
>
> None of the solutions is really convenient. Need to ponder this.

an rc is a release candidate. it's something that is published. its really just
like a beta3/4/5/6 - ie just before release. it's published software one way or
another... :) if you never publish it (upload it in a public place) then you
don't have to increment it (eg go from 1.8.1 to 1.8.3 skipping 1.8.2 that you
never published).

i wouls say put the rc's in the same plase as alphas and betas and just like
alpha and beta... do rc1/2/3/4/ etc. until you have zero more issues in an rc.