> [...]
> idea that there is a unique John Clark soul, with the question of probability
> with duplicates implicitly asking which one of the duplicates this soul will
> fly into. We know that souls are delusional, and this applies to a single
> world situation also. If you survive the night, it means that an entity
> identifying as John Clark wakes up in your bed tomorrow morning, not that
> your soul has persisted in the one body. If there are 100 John Clarks
> tomorrow then John Clark has survived, because all it takes is one, and there
> is a 25/100 probability that a randomly chosen John Clark will see a prime
> number. This is the non-delusional interpretation of the question “what is
> the probability that you will see a prime number?”. The “you” cannot refer to
> a magical soul, because such a thing never existed in the first place.
>

> I am certainly objecting to the perceived dualist assumption in your response
> to the question (asked before duplication): "What is the probability that you
> will see a prime number on your door when you wake tomorrow?". As JC points
> out, by tomorrow there will be 100 individuals in the frame. Who is the "You"
> to whom you posed the question yesterday? If the question in that form has an
> answer, then you must assume that just one of the 100 individuals next
> morning has inherited the soul of JC, and is the person to whom you
> originally referred. By subtly changing the question so that you refer only
> to asking the question of some random individual the next morning, you avoid
> this dualist implication by essentially saying that the initial "You"
> referred to, is the random individual you selected in the morning. If the two
> questions are to be related at all, then you must make the dualist assumption.
>
> I have given you the non-dualist interpretation of the question: "what is the
> probability that you will see a prime number tomorrow" is "what is the
> probability that a randomly chosen John Clark will see a prime number".
> Perhaps some people assume that a magical soul will fly into one, and only
> one, of the John Clarks, but they are wrong, just as they are wrong about a
> magical soul persisting in a single John Clark waking up in his bed normally,
> ensuring that it is him and not someone who merely believes he is him.
>

> I don't find that answer convincing, because of the implicit dualist
> assumption. A perfectly reasonable answer to the question asked the night
> before duplication is: "I won't be in a room tomorrow morning, because when I
> am duplicated with 100 continuers, I cease to exist and each of the
> continuers becomes a new, separate person. This is because there is a tie
> among the continuers, with no closest continuer. In that situation, the
> original ceases, and the continuers are separate persons."
>
> Now you might not like this answer, but it is perfectly coherent and
> rational. It has the great advantage that it avoids the stench of dualism

It eliminates the first person. It is rational to save materialism, but you
need indeed, to save the closest continuer theory, to negate Digital Mechanism,
where the notion of exact copies at the relevant level makes senseless the
notion of a unique closest continuer, indeed.
You are just negating mechanism, but this makes the soul into a magical thing,
or into oblivion… The Mechanist here have agreed that the personal identity is
in the memory of experience, and that all copies are genuine survivor. That is
why they are all equal continuer, but as this cannot be experienced, that can
only conclude that there is a first person indeterminacy, and indeed, similar
to the one used by Everett. But then with Mechanism, we have to derive the wave
from all computations realised in arithmetic. No universal machine can
distinguish which universal machine run it, be it a subset of physical laws or
elementary arithmetic. Hat makes mechanism testable, and indeed, not yet
refuted thanks to Quantum Mechanics, where the superposition of histoires get
deducible when we look to our body/environment close enough.

Bruno