Hi Larry,

I feel what you described in here. Maybe Mark's point was not really
just have an interesting beta stuff, he wanted to fix stuff in
LM7.2. But, I think my point is still valid for a lot of people's
upgrades.

I think stability and featurefulness needs a different approach.
The legendary linux stability meant stability of the kernel. The stable
kernel. Not all the programs, desktops, and new programs from
cooker. And probably not CUPS, either. Debian is considered one of
the most stable and featureful linux distros. They stick to
software, installation methods, desktops which are usually found in
Mandrake distros like 6.2 -7.0.  And yes, if you want cool stuff to
be working on your linux, you may have to tweak a little bit to make it
stable or usable. Sorry...

Just an example: For a really stable KDE desktop, you probably have
to stick to KDE 1.2...Until all the fixes for KDE 2.0 come out.

Well, I have to admit, I switched to linux some 4 years ago not
because of stability, but couriosity and because I allways change
stuff on my computer, try out things. I got bored with Windows, it
was closed I knew it, it was not interesting any more. It did not
help me to learn more...
But of course, I also need a working version of some kind of OS.
That is why I suggested to have two copies of the same distro. By
the way, a lot of the problems in LM7.2 are probably hardware and
setup dependent. My *stable* distro is a LM7.2, with KDE 2.0 and it
works for me...CUPS too. Actually without CUPS I would not be able
to print at all, because my printer is not supported.

Finally, as much as I love linux, I have to say, linux is still not for
the Walmart people. Never was. And when it will be suitable for
those people, its name will be Windows, and comes pre-installed...:-))

That is just my view right now, and if I will be wrong about it, I
will be the happiest to see the Linux World Domination. Amen.

Viktor