I am having a problem conveying my findings. Éric and Ansgar are so far the only two that really understand what I was talking about when I started the thread. It is a very simple matter. Finale SOMETIMES just erratically spaces certain measures on the same line. Individual bars are spaced OK but the proportionality between two or three measures is off. What you get is same note values spaced differently between the two measures. It is mostly evident when you introduce accidentals in the mix, but happens without them as well. From what I can see so far the initial spacing is done OK (seen in the page view or TG tools applied Add/Remove Space) but when Finale scales the measures to fit them on the line it gives certain measures (combination of values, notes with accidentals, etc) more space then others. In many cases it DOES NOT. There is no specific situation or combination that you can pin point and show as an example. Sure you can do manual adjustments, apply plug-ins etc., but they are never perfect. Dragging the barline, reducing the measure width is a workaround but not a solution. Allotment libraries simply don’t work. I don’t know why we still need them when they introduced the scaling factor. We should be able to get very different results by adjusting scaling factor, reference duration, minimum space between the items, etc. Why would I have to specify the values for Fibonacci spacing when there is the feature that should do it automatically for me? For example, why do we get inaccurate results if we specify: Scaling factor 1.618, Reference Duration of 1 quarter and reference width of 1 space (84 evpu) “Use default width if duration not in table” also doesn’t work properly. And people that completely dismiss Sibelius spacing are wrong. They had major issues with Version 1 and 2, but tremendously improved with 3 and 4. On the other hand Music Press has a Scaling Factor and Percentage at which the factor is applied. Excluding the problem of spacing tuplets on multiple lines it works wonderfully.

Just my thoughts.

Dejan Badnjar

Musette Desktop Music Publishing

1 Eastview Cres.