Optimists usually view it as pessimism, Steve.  But they're wrong.
 Realism/pragmatism is my lodestone.

--Doug

Postscript:  To those who wish to run away from the FRIAM list, taking their
marbles with them under the guise of *You're not complex enough for me!* let
me just say, "Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Oh, and use the listserv to unsubscribe, please."

Thank you.

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 6:50 PM, Steve Smith <sasm...@swcp.com> wrote:

>  I knew we could depend on you Doug!
>
> My own twisted optimism is nicely complemented by your, what do you call
> it, *pragmatism*?
>
> Sadly, to first order, I think your description of us as a "planet of
> idiots" comes way too close... my only bicker with it is perhaps whether
> there is something to be done about it?
>
> And for the sake of the list's identity, is there a role for Complexity
> Science in arriving at that answer or it's implementation.
>
> - Steve
>
> Salaam Mohammed,
>
>  Speaking as an American, I'm afraid that I can assert with a fair degree
> of accuracy that percentage-wise, very few Americans are aware of the
> historical/current events vis-a-vis US interactions with
> mid-eastern political entities that you so accurately denote below.  For
> reasons that I fail to comprehend, we have truly become a nation of idiots.
>  Nearly as discouraging, if I may suggest, is the clear emergence of
> multiple nations of Islamic idiots which seem to comprise the majority of
> mid eastern countries these days. Perhaps the real issue here is that we are
> a planet of idiots.
>
>  Several evolutions later the answer to all of this become apparent, I'm
> sure, if biological life is still possible on this planet then.
>
>  Best,
>
>  --Doug

Doug Roberts
drobe...@rti.org