From: Friam [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf Of ?glen?
Sent: Monday, November 07, 2016 10:44 AM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Trump Is Just A Normal Polling Error Behind Clinton |
FiveThirtyEight

Dave's screed does not take the question seriously.  It (over)simply accuses
the Clinton campaign of over-simplifying.  (Then it goes a step further and
hopes Clinton's oversimplifying is fatal so that the other oversimplifier wins
the election.)  But we don't want to commit tu quoqe.  Just because Dave's
guilty of the same thing both Clinton and Trump are guilty of doesn't make him
wrong.

What makes Dave's screed wrong is that Trump is NOT typical, not even in the
slightest.  To say that Trump is not atypical of the population in general is a
massive error.  To say that Trump is not atypical even of his supporters is
only a major error.  Heck, even Peter Thiel (whatever repugnant political views
he may hold) is so seriously different from Trump, any comparison will fail.
So, were Dave to extract his gist from its surrounding wrongness, it would be a
tiny bit better: Trump is not his supporters.  He is (merely) the emergent tool
(naturfact) latched onto by that demographic.

Trump's success during this campaign reflects the populism that is gaining
ground all over the world.  And it's systemic (neither all good, nor all bad)
to democratic systems.  And the founding fathers knew about it.  We've
discussed it some on this list cf Arrow's Theorem, etc.  Ranting about elitism
throws the baby out with the bathwater.

--
␦glen?