On 11/07/2016 12:59 PM, Marcus Daniels wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/07/opinion/on-election-eve-a-brexistential-dread.html

I like this quote better:
"The point is not to despair, for that is exactly the reaction that people like
Trump want to induce in those who oppose him. The point is to push."

During an argument (with liberals, but over beer, so it was OK) Friday night, I
was describing how robots could do lots of things we simply won't do (like read
and criticize journal articles to help mitigate things like this:
http://rsos.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/3/9/160384 -- or perhaps analyze
650k emails looking for classified info).  I lamented the loss of menial tasks
to the robots ... like grinding and brewing coffee... which is a more pleasant
experience than drinking it.  My liberal friends trotted out the idea that
there is no rational argument for voting for Trump, to which I applied the
molotov coctail argument.  They both accepted that it was rational, but
unreasonable.

I have the same existential reaction to robots brewing coffee as I do Trump being
elected.  It's not dread, at all.  It's exciting.  I can't empathize with Trump voters
any more than I can empathize with vandals, MMA fighters, or the drug addicts I
sporadically bump into on city streets.  But I do get excited... danger is good ... and
not roller coaster "danger"... _real_ danger.  It's good for the soul to find
yourself in a dangerous situation and search for ways out of it.  It's fun when you're
forced to code switch (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code-switching) ... which I expect
I'll be doing if Trump is elected. 8^)

--
☣ glen