It also takes the right kind of person to advertise playing accessible games.
The trouble is, we in the blind and visually impaired community, by
design and leadership and tendency, often come off as having an
entitlement issue with whatever. I have a lot of friends I talk about
game stuff with, and they're all comfortable experiencing my games and
talking with me about theres. That's not always the case with every
blind person, because, sadly, many of us don't really interrelate
well. We're easily led to be upset that sighted people have a lot of
games, and that is certainly true, but it doesn't make for much in the
way of interesting gamer to gamer conversation, and it certainly
doesn't make them want to play with us.

I'm not accusing anyone, by the way, just stating observed facts.

I understand, on the audiogames.net front, that many of the muds and
the like out there have impressive soundpacks, but they are not
audiogames. They are muds. The thing to keep in mind is that we are
separating ourselves from the sighted majority. We are often taught
that that is appropriate, but it won't work and isn't sustainable. I
know it would mean purchasing another domain or consolidating a bit,
but a more sustainable model would be the inclusion of only
audio-based stand-alone games, games meant to be primarily played, or
equally playable, with audio, rather than relying on visual data for
most of the interface elements. That's why I argue muds are not audio
games, though they can be made into audio adventures.
We could easily get many sighted people to come to audiogames.net, but
a lot of those people will be turned off by text adventures who would
not be turned off by, say, Shades of Doom, or Mysteries of the
Ancients, or what have you.
I don't have a problem with the fact that basically all the games on
the page are accessibility minded. I mean, we're still the prime
market for audio games, but we're not the only market anymore, and we
are running a relatively exclusive site, not by choice but by,
arguably, the design of the site itself.
Yes, a visitor can search only for audio games on the site by using
the search functions, but the big list of games on audiogames.net
includes many titles that are fun, accessible, but aren't audiogames.
Emon Delux, for example, has no audio at all. Nor do almost all of the
game book style games.
I argue that they don't, therefore, belong on the huge combo box of
games on the bottom of the site's homepage. I would go so far as to
question whether they should be given their own database entries on a
site devoted to audiogames at all. It isn't that I don't like the
games. Far from that, in fact. I love a good text game. I love
mudding. I just don't think we're sending the right message out to the
world if we turn a site about audio gaming into a site about blind
gaming. That's what Audyssey's for, right? Let it do its job.

I know that you guys are mostly not going to like all the things I'm
saying, but do consider them carefully before you dismiss them as too
strange or unhelpful. turn Audyssey.org into what Audiogames.net is
now, and redesign, somewhat, the audiogames.net site. Don't make it
all flashy and pretty and graphically awesome if you don't want, but
let the site be about what it's about. It would be a little odd, for
example, for there to be car maintenance tips on a cooking site. Both
are real life oriented. Both are useful, but cooking has little enough
to do with cars, except that people ought to know how to handle both.
Don't let blindness be the common theme of audiogames.net. It cheapens
the experience of the site for the rest of the world who might
otherwise feel connected with a market, and who might open that market
up to us some more by vent of wanting to make similar games for
themselves.

Signed:
Dakotah Rickard