Personally, I’d appreciate it if everyone involved in this discussion decided
that all parties are equally correct and expanded the scope of what they were
paying attention to so as to dissolve any apparent contradictions.

All i know about this situation I’ve learned from this thread, but, for example…
Justin reviewed this release candidate and found a lot of files that appear to
not adhere to normal apache standards for license headers.  Apparently this has
been discussed extensively in the past, including with Justin, but for this
review apparently he wasn’t appreciating that context.
Project members think these files are just fine for various reasons, apparently
documented in Jira and the mailing lists.
If I put myself in Justin’s place, I think, perhaps,…. I’d like to review this
release candidate, perhaps as an introduction to getting more involved in the
project…. hmmm this is odd, this appears to violate what I expect for what
appears to be source code even it’s for tests…. what’s going on?
If I put myself in a long-time project member’s place, I think,…. we’ve dealt
with all these licensing issues, it’s right there in lira, let’s try a relasse….
From my own point of view, I think it would be nice to be able to review a
release candidate without being a long-term project member with extensive
historical knowledge. Perhaps a review guide pointing out deviations from what
most people expect from apache projects and why they are fine would help.

Thanks
David Jencks