On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 05:57:26 -0600, Dale wrote:

> Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 05:22:19 -0600, Dale wrote:
> >
> >> The biggest reason I needed to do this is that I usually have
> >> portage's work directory on tmpfs.  I just don't have enough memory
> >> to do them all at the same time, one at a time would work tho.  If I
> >> ever get around to upgrading to 32GBs, then this won't matter.
> > I get round this in another way
> >
> > % cat /etc/portage/package.env/libreoffice
> > app-office/libreoffice ccache.conf disk-tmpdir.conf
> >
> > % cat /etc/portage/env/disk-tmpdir.conf
> > PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/mnt/scratch"
> >
> > There, the larger packages use spinning rust for $TMPDIR. This not
> > only means I can merge more than one of them at once, it also means I
> > can use my computer for other things while it's happening.
> >

> The last time I ummounted it from tmpfs and some of my processes were
> killed when it was done.

There's no need to unmount anything. All other packages still use the
tmpfs location, I just have the bigger ones using my hard drive. It means
I don't need to worry about things running out of space or crippling my
other use of the computer - this is on a laptop with 8GB, my desktop now
has 32GB to I let everything use tmpfs.

> My hope was to wrestle those three under control in a way that they
> would only do one at a time without me having to monitor it or split the
> process.  If I could do that, then I think the rest would be workable.

> Maybe one of the devs will add this nifty feature one day.  I figure it
> will happen right after I upgrade my memory and no longer need it.
> ROFL

That would be pointless, as they would lose their most "enthusiastic"
beta tester ;-)

--
Neil Bothwick

Math and alcohol don't mix. Don't drink and derive.