Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Saturday 11 Feb 2017 05:22:19 Dale wrote:
>
>> The biggest reason I needed to do this is that I usually have portage's
>> work directory on tmpfs.  I just don't have enough memory to do them all
>> at the same time, one at a time would work tho.  If I ever get around to
>> upgrading to 32GBs, then this won't matter.
> When your tmpfs fills up, it starts paging to swap, so as long as your swap
> partition is big enough it should be about the same as using the hard disk.

I made my swap to small.  Even tho I wasn't using tmpfs during a couple
of the updates, I still ran out of memory.  I'm not sure exactly what
all was trying to emerge but I know that when the big one really got my
attention, Seamonkey, Firefox, Libreoffice and several KDE type packages
were in the list.  Given the time it takes those to compile, I figure
the big three and others were trying to compile at the same time.  While
just those three big ones are bad enough, whatever else was working was
just way to much.

Anyway, I'll update them to themselves and try to get some memory
upgraded here soon.  I just don't like pushing it to the point it kills
other processes.

Dale

:-)  :-)