That description isn't actually accurate. Its perfectly possible to play a
lan game where everyone uses the same steam ID, all in online mode. The only
time restrictions kick in are when you try to join an internet game. Because
of this, I don't think "copy protection" is the reason for offline mode's
lameness. Similarly, the 5 friends all playing at once issue you describe
would work fine on online mode. The only caveat is that only one of you can
be logged into friends at a time.

On the other hand, I don't have an alternative suggestion for why it doesn't
work... :-P