"The *only* reason we were doing it was to avoid the initial hit to our
quickplay score. The intention isn't to trick players, though I can see how
one may think that was the intention."

Yeah that's the problem right here, nobody believes it was your intention
to do wrong, but you ARE hosting a 32 man server, and then trying to still
score on the no-penalty quickplay traffic until you get more than 24
players. That's using the system to get more players into your server than
you'd normally get otherwise - because they might think they are here for a
good ol' 12 on 12 action. Not a 12 on 12 until more show up kind of game.

- Gordon Reynolds