[Default] On 25 Jul 2021 06:42:01 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main
mwa...@us.ibm.com (Marna WALLE) wrote:

>Brian,
>Concerning small environments, does having z/OS (and z/OS V2.5) available to
>all participating ISVs count as part of our early programs?  Whereby they
>could use z/OS V2.5 and z/OSMF in their own environment, or use it as a z/VM
>guest?  Does it count that these same ISVs, who can run in their own very
>small environments on their own purchased HW, have had z/OSMF for quite a
>while and we've delivered PTFs to help with the performance in those
>environments because of their z/OSMF feedback?  Does it count that any early
>customer in the z/OS V2.5 release program can and do have small sandbox
>systems, on which they perform their installation and service work?  Does
>having the function testing for z/OS V2.5 across all the z/OS Development labs
>as z/VM guests count, with these environments sometimes being smaller than a
>zPDT?

I am wondering if some of the problem is the inappropriate default.  I
remember putting a zap on a console display module so that the default
was 1 not 100 when a display unit command was issued.. The result of
displaying 100 device statuses on a 1052 (deserving of the
sledgehammer award) bouncing ball console printer was painful.  This
lasted from MVT well into MVS and was the subject of a requirement. If
it takes 300 concurrent threads to run the default of 100 qualifies
for being inappropriate.  Also someone whose talent is improving
systems performance may be needed.  I was the type of person who would
not have designed a good system but I could in many cases drastically
improve the performance of an existing systems, preferably in COBOL
although I did a speed up a couple of assembler programs.

Clark Morris