On 8/27/07, David Boyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think we will have to agree to disagree. Most of the security weasels
> I know claim that the less information you give a potential intruder,
> the better, but that stems from their mindset that *everyone* is a
> potential intruder.

More like different context. For *authentication* it is good practice
not to reveal any information when wrong credentials are supplied.
This is where the weasels come from. It was just a nasty prank of me
to do a password check that provided hits like "4 good, 2 at the wrong
place" or the "next password" response. The approach to "revoke" a
user when "someone" tried to logon to that account 3 times with a
wrong password is imho more a security problem than a solution to one.

But once the user is authenticated, it's not a potential intruder
anymore. At that point, we normally assume the user is doing the right
thing because business conduct guidelines will guide the user. If such
a relation does not exist, you have entirely different problems that
don't get solved by a  "computer says No" response (see my "Less that
G" approach).

Rob