>Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 16:43:19 -0500
 >Subject: Re: Down To You

Another interesting component of this song is that it utilizes a technique that
Joni employs in some of her other songs as well; that is, it opens and closes
 >with a similar phraseology.
 >
 >The opening/closing/middle repeats:

 >"Everything comes & goes...
 >Constant stranger...
 >It all comes down to you"

Like Hejira, where she opens and closes with "I'm travelling in some
vehicle,
sitting in some cafe", and "Conversation". It's like she's using the technique
to close the loop on the thought, or perhaps show the cyclical nature of the
issue at hand, or the lack of resolution. It's as if she's saying 'here I am at
the end of this thought and I'm right back where I started from'. I have no idea

if this is intentional or if she means it that way. I just find it an interesting technique.
>Bob

Thanks for this Bob. I love the analysis/observation very much. I love circles and cycles, in nature, in art, etc. Life is like that, you know?

Now I will have to go back, listen and pay more attention.

Marianne