gmx wrote:

>>>As distasteful as it sounds, my boss has asked me about the possibility of
>>>what I'll call 'Passive Shadowing', ie, shadowing someones workstation without
>>>the ability to take it over, and *without them knowing it*, so he can see what
>>>they are doing.
>>>
>>>The reason for this is, we have a big problem with people spending lots of
>>>time 'playing' on the internet when they should be working, and the boss would
>>>like to be able to look in on them from time to time.
>>>
>>>I don't like the idea much, but I do see a need for it in some cases.
>>>

>>I see this as unethical and a violation of an individuals privacy and
>>dignity. I would never work for a company that had such equipment. I
>>do hope that such covert features never make it to mainstream open
>>source code.
>>

> Big Boss is watching you.... ;)
> Agree !
> Doesn't law protect employees from such "big-brothering" ?
> BTW:
> We use desktop-shadowing feature of Citrix ICA - and we had big discussions
>regarding this
> issue - since we have some problems with an app, when users forget to log out
>"cleanly".
> Bu we don't even THINK ABOUT disabling the popup-message feature "request for shared
>session -
> do you allow this?" - NEVER !
>
> regards
> Roland
>
> PS:
> Since your boss isn't a sysadmin for sure, how will he know if HE isn't being
>shadowed ???
> ;)))

Hey it's the bosses computer, the bosses resources, and the bosses time! He can
read you email or any other transmission from his property!  Hardly an invasion
of privacy especially if he give any notice what so ever. You have no
expectation of privacy on his premises. Would you have an expectation of privacy
to go naked in your office.

--
Crayne's law: All computers wait at the same speed.