> I have followed a long thread of argument on partition scheme on another
> list but no final conclusion accepted by most participants was drawn.  My
> application is for Terminal Server.

There can't be good scheme suited for everyone. There can be special
cases when you can use a separate partition, other than /boot, swap and /.
But I'm sure in 95% of all cases all you need is 3 partitions scheme.
Restoring just one partition sounds very logical and fine, but in reality
in 98% cases after severe crash you'll have to restore the whole disk,
not one partition.
On the other hand I'm sure that in 95% percent you'll have to deal
with the moving data from one partition to another if you choose
more than 3 partitions scheme.

So, in my opinion, I suggest than 3 partitions, namely /boot,
swap and / are enough and in most cases there's no real reason
to divide / partition. If you are really concerned about
your data then it's better to think about mirrored pairs and
good backup strategy. Two disks are also much better than the
thoughts about partitioning single drive. With two disks
the IO throughput is twice better. In case of severe crash
you still have a lot of problems though.

If you want to keep your personal data separated from OS software,
you can always do it, using just directories. It's the same as if
you keep your critical data on a separate partition.