Il giorno Wed, 24 Jul 2002, [EMAIL PROTECTED] cosė ha scritto:

|From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|To: Stephen Liu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
|Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 22:04:56 -0400
|Subject: Re: [Ltsp-discuss] Partition arrange for hard drive
|
|I sure wouldn't put /etc on a separate partition.  The
|problem is that the fstab file is in /etc, so the system
|isn't going to know how to mount the filesystems, because
|it can't get at /etc/fstab until /etc is mounted, and /etc
|won't get mounted until it can read /etc.
|
|Also, the /etc/inittab file is the first thing that init
|needs.

  You must have noticed I like doing crazy things.  At least in words!  :-)
  What about if I put the /etc/fstab and /etc/inittab files on the root
partition and the kernel, after booting, mounts a different partition on the
/etc directory?  You couldn't update those two files after booting, unless you
temporarily unmount the /etc directory, but if security was the major concern,
maybe this technique should be considered.  Maybe I'll try it at home some time.

|Other than that, there is no "right" way to do this.

  Indeed.  All techniques have their good and their bad sides.

|Pick a reasonable partitioning scheme and give it a shot.
|Learn from your successes and mistakes and move on.

  Expecially from your mistakes, for each success there are usually many
mistakes!

  Sandro

--
Bellum se ipsum alet