On Thu, 2020-09-17 at 14:15 -0400, Brian Carpenter wrote:
> On 9/17/20 1:45 PM, Jim Popovitch via Mailman-Users wrote:
> > That's kind of my point. mm2 works for me and my use, I'd much rather
> > prefer to keep it working than to rip it out and replace it, including
> > installed and maintaining a database, a framework, a new setup of custom
> > admin scripts unique to my setup, etc.  No one has sold me on mm3 yet.
>
> It's because you don't want to be sold.

Absolutely not.  I'm intrigued by the idea of mailman-core (1/3 of mm3)
with a lightweight web-based GUI in front of it.  But, to date, that
doesn't exist. I also don't see the need for a db and api with a MLM,
but I do see value in those things.

> But I will say this, what you
> want as a list owner, and what your list members want are two different
> things. They may line up and they may not. But I suspect many list
> owners are watching their mm2 lists shrink either in membership size or
> posting activity. Communication behavior changes. Social media has had a
> tremendous impact on how communications work on the web. Integrations
> are very important to a lot of groups. None of these things are possible
> with Mailman 2. Mailman 2 is inflexible as your position to not be
> swayed to use Mailman 3.

That's just FUD.  Don't take offense because I haven't taken you up on
your mm3 work around(s).  I have mm3 installs, but they are not what my
users want.

> Also your above comments show your unjustified bias against Mailman 3:
> "you have to do so many things to use Mailman 3". No you don't.

Again, you're the guy who had to pay someone else to make 2/3rds of
Mailman 3 work for you.

> I think
> the real culprit is your custom admin scripts that you are using to make
> up for whatever shortcomings you found with MM2.  You don't want to go
> through the task of getting them to work with Mailman 3. Perhaps you
> can't. So at least that is a valid point for wanting to stick with MM2.
> However that is not the fault of Mailman 3.

My "custom scripts" are cron+bash scripts to send monthly mailman
reports out to admins.  Hardly anything that can't be re-worked anywhere
else, but why?

> > > I'm not sure what the point of this is. According to
> > > <https://www.mailop.org/about/>;;, MAILOP is already on Mailman 3.
> > They are not, (i'd guess most likely due to overly optimistic views on
> > how easy a migration to mm3 would be, perhaps they needed a bigger
> > server or had to hire a database guy, who really knows).  What i do know
> > is that, from a post yesterday, they are still using an old Mailman
> > version:
> >
> > Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 08:37:43 -0500
> > Subject: Re: [mailop] Spam using bit.ly link shorteners,
> >          this time via Outlook
> > X-BeenThere:mai...@mailop.org
> >

> > I'd email Simon to ask why the discrepancy, but he's already alluded to
> > it a few times on their list.  Note: he originally planned to started
> > moving mailop.org to mm3 last December, so he's had plenty of time.
>
> Please let Simon know I can install Mailman 3 and migrate his list to
> Mailman 3 within a day.

I won't be your salesman.

> > > It appears NANOG has only 3 public Mailman 2.1 lists and only one has
> > > archives pre-dating MM 2.1 which could require attention before
> > > importing to HyperKitty. So list migration via `mailman import21` and
> > > `django-admin hyperkitty_import` should be straightforward.
> > >
> > > I guess you are saying that step 1, "First install Mailman 3" would be
> > > the sticking point, but this is the same whether you are NANOG or
> > > mail.python.org or tiny site with one list, and it has been accomplished
> > > multiple times by multiple people. I've documented my experience at
> > > <https://wiki.list.org/x/17891998>;;. Brian's take is at
> > > <https://wiki.list.org/x/17892066>;;.
> > >
> > I've read both of those links in the past, and honestly that is good
> > detail to have.  What I was looking for in an "elevator pitch" is a 30
> > second statement on what benefit someone would have by moving to mm3.
> > Given the time and effort (big or small) why should anyone move to mm3
> > if their mm2 installation still works and functions fine?  There are
> > people here saying "move to mm3 now!!, etc.", but what's the selling
> > point?
> >
> > -Jim P.
>
> I have been posting those selling points frequently. But you are
> *inflexible* in your insistence in using MM2.

So re-capping them should be easy and do'able...., right?

> I will give you a 3 second selling point: *flexibility*, choices, future
> new features, searchable archives, a growing community of users, etc.

I hope you one day see how ridiculous that sounds as an elevator pitch.
;-)

-Jim P.