On Tue, 20 Jul 1999 12:41:59 -0500 "Steven Brooks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:

/|\/|\ I rarely put my 5-disc CD carousel into the shuffle or random
mode, because the cursed thing takes a good 10 seconds to find the next
disc and track. Buffer?!   No wonder it was cheap... (#$%&@!) /|\/|\

  Guess I can delurk one more time today. ;-)

  I often wonder why MD and CD changers don't cache the disc information
ahead of time! Maybe it's just me, but I think waiting before the music
starts is much less annoying than waiting a few seconds between songs. I
think it would be much more enjoyable to have a MD or CD changer do *all*
of the reading, remembering and shuffling at the beginning instead of
after each song. I don't see why a unit, once it has all the track info
from all 5, 6 or 10 discs, couldn't lay out which track plays when
*ahead* of time! Then you could have a shorter space between songs.

  Okay so it wouldn't eliminate silence on CD changers totally but it
would really reduce the wait time. And with MD players and changers with
a decent buffer there wouldn't be any silence at all!

~Zach
o/~ she's sick of all the formula bands, for something not quite so bland
o/~
o/~ no more New Kids on the Block, she loves to hear the discobigrock o/~
o/~ her favourite band is Sonic Youth, well at least she tells the truth
o/~
o/~ the girls at school they love Take That, and Mark Owen is the name of
the cat, name of the cat o/~