Graham Baker wrote,

| Even my old MZ-R2 gives non-stop shuffle play - 10 secs before the end
| of the current track you can hear the optical block move to the next
| random track to fill the buffer for continous playback.

But will it play one shuffle cycle and then stop on its own instead of
starting another?  The R3 and the E40 won't.

| My Sharp 701 in shuffle mode has three secs of silence between tracks
| whilst it works out which track to play next :-(

Thank you.  Graham and Rat are the only two people who've answered that ques-
tion, though that was the third or fourth time I've asked it.

When I said,

: Sharp portable recorders (this is from their manuals, not from my
: personal experience) will play one shuffle cycle and stop,

Stainless Steel Rat wrote,

> This is correct, at least as far as the 701/702.  There might be an EEPROM
> setting that overrides this, though.

I think you can turn on both RANDOM and REPEAT and make it start reshuffling
when it finishes the cycle, or so a Sharp owner told me once before.  That
certainly is the case with the Aiwa AM-F70: turn on RANDOM and you'll get
one shuffle cycle, but turn on both RANDOM and REPEAT and it will keep
starting a new cycle when each one ends until you stop it manually, just like
a Sony portable.

> My 702 pauses for about 2 seconds between the end of the track being played
> and the start of the next track to be played.  It is infrequently faster
> (about 1 second), slightly more frequently slower (about 3 seconds).  This
> time is spent "thinking", just like the Sony [decks].

Thank you.