There is a CD changer like what you described, kinda.  Technics SL-PD1010.
Unfortunately, it only uses 5 seconds of read ahead memory which isn't
enough to completely bridge the gap while changing.  But it does make
shuffle mode for single CDs consecutive (which is great for artists like
Otomo Yoshihide).
This unit has been available for at least 3 years now (when I got mine), so
I'm kind of surprised the technology hasn't been picked up by all CD
changer producers for their units.  (Contemplating getting one of the new
Sony 300 disc changers to compliment my MDS-PC1 unit, but fear the wait
time during changes will be awful.)

---
Peace Hugs and Unity                    Jason J. Tar
                W.      W.      J.      D?
                (What would Jason Do?)
            http://www.msu.edu/user/tarjason
                      ICQ@13792120