On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Ralph Smeets wrote:

        Hi,

> >         You're missing another point: I guess that if you send data at
> > 2X/3X/4X to the MD, it will have to spin faster while recording; that
> > implies greater power consumptions, and higher accuracy, so modifications
> > to the MD hardware must be done anyway, and a standalone device won't be
> > very practical without a specific MD device that could handle this. And
> > forget about having that in portables without prohibitively rising its
> > price...
>
> Hmm...
>
> I don't know for recording, but I know that for reading, the disc spins at
> (least)! 4x. This in order to keep the 10s or more memory buffer filled!

        I'll put it in another way: almost any CD-ROM unit today handles
reading speeds of about 50x. But CD-R/W recorders cannot write at that
speed, guess 8/10/12x are the fastest ones. The spinning speed isn't the
matter, the laser power and accuracy for writing at higher speeds is.

        greets,

Francisco J. Montilla               System & Network administrator
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      irc: pukka        Seville            Spain
INSFLUG (LiNUX) Coordinator: www.insflug.org   -   ftp.insflug.org