* Eric Woudenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Mon, 06 Mar 2000
| On what do you base this statement? My understanding of ATRAC (based
| upon looking at an ATRAC decoder) is that the computational demands of
| encoding ATRAC are similar to those for MP3. I would expect a software
| ATRAC encoder to run about as fast as an MP3 encoder.

If that were the case, then you would be able to encode MP3 streams that
sound as good as ATRAC 4 (which they do not) in real time on your desktop
(which you cannot at this time).  As I mentioned previously, a Pentium II
running at 400MHz is capable of turning SPDIF into 128Kbps MP3 in real
time, if it is not doing anything else.  The particular machine in question
is a 64Mb system with fast/wide SCSI (so, no bottleneck there), using LAME.
128Kbps MP3s do not sound nearly as good as ATRAC 4, so I have to say that
the computational loads are not comparable.
--
Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    \ When not in use, Happy Fun Ball should be
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ returned to its special container and