[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On 6 Mar 2000, Stainless Steel Rat wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>
>         Don't want to stop an interesting thread, but...
>
> > [...]
> > | Yeh but you don't want to emulate an ATRAC chip, you wana encode data to
> > | ATRAC standard natively on a PC using a PC processor & software taking
> > | advantage of chip specific features.
> >
> > Yes, and that requires many fast fourier transformations (FFTs) per second,
> > which as I said before are slow on general purpose processors.  ATRAC 4 in
> > real time is just not going to happen on the desktop for a while for that
> > reason.
>
>         I guess Sony is never letting this to happen. I mean, to provide
> specifications in order to implement such a encoder. Neither Sony or
> others, I'd swear.
>
>         You're missing another point: I guess that if you send data at
> 2X/3X/4X to the MD, it will have to spin faster while recording; that
> implies greater power consumptions, and higher accuracy, so modifications
> to the MD hardware must be done anyway, and a standalone device won't be
> very practical without a specific MD device that could handle this. And
> forget about having that in portables without prohibitively rising its
> price...

Hmm...

I don't know for recording, but I know that for reading, the disc spins at
(least)! 4x. This in order to keep the 10s or more memory buffer filled!

Cheers,
Ralph

Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE