WD-40 can be wicked stuff. A friend that uses it on everything had me
look at the 2-way radio on his boat when it stopped working. He
finally admitted to spraying WD-40 under the faceplate to lubricate
the volume control when it started sticking. It fixed the sticking
problem, but insulated the wipe pad on the potentiometer so that it
was open (infinite resistance). I would expect the same results with
relays and switches. Cleaning with acetone got rid of the residue.

-Dave Walton