Thats a popular misconception with people, they think either negotiate the trade first, then negotiate the price on the new car, or vise versa. Either way, you are just dragging things out making the process take longer because no matter what you do you will end up at the same place in the end. And that pisses off the salesman as well, that is not their first rodeo, they have seen this before. If you want to get in and out quick, just tell them what you are looking to do and go from there.