Dad always told me to never bring a trade into the deal until you have set a
price for the vehicle you are purchasing. That forces the numbers to be out on
the table.

It's worked for me the few times I've gone that way. In one case the trade in
offer was so low we both agreed it wasn't worth it and I sold the car via
private party.

Dan