Donald Snook <dsn...@mtsqh.com> writes:

> you don't care what the price is AND you don't care what the trade in
> value is.  The only thing you should be worried about is the
> difference between the two.

At least in Indiana, there is some benefit to getting a high trade-in
value because you don't pay sales tax on the trade-in portion of the
purchase.  That's effectively an extra 7%.

Ideally you are supposed to negotiate your trade-in then negotiate the
price of the car.  I've never found a dealer who would seriously talk
trade-in values without a specific car on the purchase side already
identified.

> Don't get caught up in those numbers, because the dealer is better at
> playing that game than you are.

This is why I don't buy cars from dealers anymore.

Allan
--
1983 300D
1979 300SD