The need for certification is a symptom of different problem, which is
that the interview process has become too casual. Interviewers are
uncomfortable asking the tought questions so they resort to asking the
candidate about his hobbies etc. Many years ago a friend of mine who
interviewed for HP told me that he had to take a test and was grilled
intensely by serveral engineers in sequence before getting hired. Some
one even made him solve a partial differential equation on the spot!
(this was an R&D job) He said that he had never sweated that much during
any of his exams in college :)

I think the best system might be for each company to design a 15 minute
test with a dozen questions skewed to their particular needs and see how
the applicant does. It could even be a slightly longer take home test
with follow up during the interview process. Tougher the interview, the
better the guage of how the person will do under pressure. The
certification process is a responsibility for which the companies are
passing the buck on (literally speaking) to the testing firms.

bakki
--
      _ _
 .-. |M|S|              Bakki Kudva
 |D|_|a|y|              Navaco
 |o|m|n|s|<\            420 Pasadena Drive
 |c|e|a|t| \\           Erie, PA 16505-1037
 |u|n|g|e|  \\          http://www.navaco.com/
 | |T|e|m|   \>         ph: 814-833-2592
""""""""""""""""""      fax:603-947-5747
e-Docs