"Randal L. Schwartz" wrote:

> But here's the reality of trainings.  You need to get 10 to 20 people
> in a room at the same time that are all starting roughly at the same
> skill level and also want to end up in the same place.  And then you
> need to do that about 8 to 20 times with the same slide set before you
> break even, because the cost of producing the materials is pretty
> high: figure one to three DAYS of research for every HOUR of face time
> in the classroom.

I've been lucky enough to "inherit" (as a subcontractor) sets of Perl
training materials put together by a really decent guy named James.
I shudder to think of the time investment he made in creating that stuff.
He and I have talked from time to time about revising/updating the
existing materials, and maybe even creating some new courses, but how to
find the time...

Mod_perl is a topic I'd really like to work on -- both in terms of
teaching and also in putting together the training materials to begin
with.  I've yet to figure out the "magic formula" to make this work,
though.

> I can't figure out where the "start" and "finish" are with mod_perl
> that would make sense for 80 to 400 people.  It's not core techology,
> like the llama.  We target the llama as how you would want ANY perl
> hacker to spend their first 30 hours.  But what 20-30 hours are
> *common* for any mod_perl hacker?  And what do you do for pre-reqs?

These are all really good points.

One other slightly-more-minor consideration when it comes to teaching
a Perl course is system set-up.  If you control the training environment,
(ie. you have your own classroom and students come out to it) then this
isn't a problem.  But if you teach at the client's location, then it can
be an issue trying to get their machines configured to the point where you
can actually have workshops on what you teach.  Mod_perl is a biggie in
terms of the kind of setup you have to do:  you need a lot of Perl modules
installed on the machine, a recent version of Perl, source-code level
acceses to building Apache, and not just the time needed to do this to a
classroom full of computers, but also _permission_.

That all said, I'm sure there will be mod_perl courses available somehow,
someday.  5000(0(0?)?) mod_perl hackers can't be wrong. :-)

Cheers,
Richard