On Wednesday 14 November 2001 16:55, Stas Bekman wrote:
> Robin Berjon wrote:
> > On Wednesday 14 November 2001 03:27, Perrin Harkins wrote:
> >>Maybe we should give the horse a chance to catch up to the cart...
> >>
> >>Once there is a design that people are satisfied with, you are more than
> >>welcome to submit patches to fix validation problems.
> >
> > Agreed, but it's far easier to start cleanly. Fixing "designer-code" can
> > be insanely hard and time consuming. "Be strict in what you..." and all
> > that.
>
> May be I was not clear. You can change whatever you want in the
> templates. There is no design at this moment! Scratch what you see and
> make a new one.

Stas, maybe it's me that wasn't clear :-) When I said "designer-code", I
didn't mean _your_ code, I meant something that someone would submit that
wouldn't be clean (X)HTML.

> In any case if you look at the templates, they are bare bones. So it
> shouldn't be time consuming and of course it's not insanely hard. I
> think you didn't look at the source before saying what you've said.

I didn't say that ! I was answering (what I understood from) Perrin's email
that said that maybe people should submit their design in whatever form they
want (ie with whatever degree of code cleanliness) and once we have a good
design we can clean that up. I'm not against that approach, but I think it's
easier to have clean code to start with (again, in the submissions made to
the contest, I wasn't referring to your code _at_all_).

You want the templates to be editable in a text editor, and I think that's a
very good requirement. Clean code to start with will make that a lot easier.
Also, this is not the web of '95 anymore. Gradually, HTML is having a chance
of becoming less of a dirty word. I'm suggesting we do our small part in
helping progress.

Robin Berjon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -- CTO
k n o w s c a p e : // venture knowledge agency www.knowscape.com
Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.