Jonathan Rockway wrote:
* On Mon, Nov 23 2009, Rene Schickbauer wrote:
Yeah, i looked at many web frameworks, they are either non-perl or
have very strict security. Strict security is nice to have, but for
in-house intranet projects it sort of gets in the way if you have to
quick-hack a solution very fast... so i invented my own framework.

Just so you know...

Catalyst is the standard Perl web framework, and is neither non-perl nor
has "very strict security".  It also runs on Windows (Strawberry or
ActiveState), and does not require Apache.  (Apache still exists!?)

It was never my intention to bash Catalyst; in fact, i believe its a *very* good framework. And i did take a look at it before i started Maplat.

I'm not sure *how* i can formulate this so it doesn't sound like i think Maplat is the best solution out there (it's not (yet) except for special cases i mostly need on various intranet services i run) - i was never good with words when it comes to describing the gut feelings i have when planning and implementing a major project.

Hmm, Catalyst is a very mature framework, it does its job well, has good security, many options on how to do database stuff and so on. And thats exactly why i choose not to use it. I had to whip up something in a hurry and i just *knew* i wouldn't get it done when i have to get into learning Catalyst and mod_perl. I needed a a hacky quick-fix solution that runs with minimum install time on Windows (meaning no fidgeting around with Apache.

On the other hand, i knew my way around HTML, the Template engine and HTTP::Server::Simple(::CGI). Got the project up&running in two weeks straight (90% of the code was a fixed up perl port of one old C++ business logic code).

It worked, the users loved it. So i added features. Then a second, similar project came along, also using the same base code.

After the third project was started, i re-engineered major parts of the base code, split it into a completly different repository and released it on CPAN...

The Maplat framework is - and will be for the foreseeable future - my choice of Framework to do software, exactly because it is still a quick-fix, hacky solution that does the thinks i want.

And the documentation makes it clear: If you develop something for the internet, do NOT use Maplat. If you need a webbased interface for background worker scripts on your INTRAnet, consider Maplat.

It even has two books written about it.

http://www.catalystframework.org/

And i'm probably gonna buy them.

LG