On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Rene Schickbauer
<rene.schickba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> I think a discussion about the why's could be interesting and
>> insightful - unfortunately I have to agree that the posts above are
>> mostly about influencing and not much about truth seeking.  Is that
>> ever possible?
>
> I don't think so. Everyone thinks and works a little different. So, a
> feature in a software could be THE feature for one but the killer bug for
> someone else.
>
> This is similar to "Whats the best editor?" or "Whats the best operating
> system?"... Countless flamewars have been fought (and lost) over questions
> like that.
>
> As WOPR in "Wargames" pointed out: 'A strange game. The only winning move is
> not  to play'.
>
> So far, the only two questions in that category humanity was able to solve
> were "What is the best drink in existance?" which is the Pangalactic
> Gargleblaster and "What is the meaning of life, the universe and
> everything?" which is fourty two (and for which we are STILL waiting for the
> exact wording of the question to make sense of the answer).

I pretty much convinced that you are right - but still I would like to try :)

Maybe the way forward is not to talk about what is the best thing -
but rather about the design choices being made.  My hope is that when
we spell them precisely we'll see the tradeoffs involved and it'll be
easy to see why different situations call for different sides in these
tradeoffs.

--
Zbigniew Lukasiak
http://brudnopis.blogspot.com/