On Fri, 4 Dec 2009, Rene Schickbauer wrote:

Hmm, Catalyst is a very mature framework, it does its job well, has good security, many options on how to do database stuff and so on. And thats exactly why i choose not to use it. I had to whip up something in a hurry and i just *knew* i wouldn't get it done when i have to get into learning Catalyst and mod_perl. I needed a a hacky quick-fix solution that runs with minimum install time on Windows (meaning no fidgeting around with Apache.

As Jon already pointed out, Catalyst doesn't need Apache. You could run it as a plain CGI or via FastCGI (obviously, it'll be slow the former way).

On the other hand, i knew my way around HTML, the Template engine and HTTP::Server::Simple(::CGI). Got the project up&running in two weeks straight (90% of the code was a fixed up perl port of one old C++ business logic code).

The idea that you couldn't learn the basics of Catalyst and get things running in the same time seems unlikely.

Also, you haven't factored in all the time it's going to take you to add features and fix bugs already present/fixed in an existing tool.

-dave

http://VegGuide.org               http://blog.urth.org
Your guide to all that's veg      House Absolute(ly Pointless)