As a parent of a child with cognitive delays, a child delayed since birth, I
am always fearful that we are reaching for a way to 'fix' the kid, a box
with a tidy little solution, a program that will turn out to be the magic
key.

Our son is twenty and I am so proud of his accomplishments (an active four
year choir member, a Special Olympian, a B honor roll student (modified
classes) and now, a young man employed part-time and looking forward to a
move to assisted living.  All along the way, teachers--both those in regular
classrooms and those in the exceptional education system--played a critical
role in contributing to the young man he has become. A young man with a
chromosomal condition, a tested IQ that is less than 60, and a citizen who
functions to the best of his ability.

All that said, be a special ed parent and self-appoint activist for kids in
the system, the honest truth is that teachers don't always rise to serve
these kids in the best way possible and some are pretty quick to be
searching for a label, when a label isn't going to change things.  Bev, I
agree completely here with your reaction to the quoted section of the text,
but I do believe in my heart that ALL teachers want to do right by ALL
students and sometimes lack the tool box to do so.

If Rti can become a process to support more seamless support of both the
teachers and the students without serving as a roadblock to children like my
own--kids that will benefit from strong instructional practice, devoted
teachers and patience, then as a former classroom teacher and a special
needs parent--HURRAY! But let's do it without insulting or demeaning
teachers.  A teacher unsure of how to deal with classroom challenges is not
necessarily a weak teachers or bad people.

I am always fearful that many children who deserve Special Education Support
(and have a legal right to it) will be denied those services.  I am
reassured by our local RtI team and consultants that that is not the case,
but believe me, I will be watching.

Lori

Lori Jackson
District Literacy Coach & Mentor