In one building I work closely with, we decided to alter the way in which
the assessment wall was presented.  Previously, it had been a neglected
corner in the basement and hadn't been attended to in years--a complex
system with every level of assessment.  We tried walls within walls last
year, establishing a column for each grade and division within to refer to
our end of year benchmark goals for below basic, basic, proficient and
advanced. A cap has been placed on testing at each grade level, so attaining
proficiency means no more testing (not no more teaching).  In the below
basic column, we ordered the cards from those just missing basic to those
off the mark by oodles and oodles.  The system worked better for some
teachers than others, with some making some distinct and measurable progress
and others not so much.  We did not tie the progress monitoring to teacher,
but it is a very small school, so anonymity really is a pipe dream.
However, this year we are looking closely at why students in one room may
make much more progress than students in another and trying hard to do so in
a way that is not personal.  Obviously class rosters have much to do with
it, so an effort was made to balance classes in terms of student ability
this year.  We are also examining peer practice closely to learn from one
another.

These conversations are not always within our comfort zone, but ours is a
district that struggles.  We are having the same conversations at the
district level.  Over the past six years, one school has made consistent and
steady progress increasing reading scores by 24% with no backsliding.
Still, this school did not always make AYP.  Other schools have been up,
down and all over--sometimes good, sometimes not.  So what is it that has
allowed one school to maintain this consistent, positive trajectory?  It is
time to start asking questions, even though as a former teacher at this
school I feel I have some theories.

Lori

On 9/7/08 2:56 PM, "Laura Cannon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> As a teacher I didn't like the one we tried.  It took a long time to post
> data on my kid's cards--first I had to find them mixed in with 8 other third
> grades.  Second, the board was high and I'm short so it I had to climb a
> ladder to post the data for some children.  Third, I could have used that
> time to plan lessons--I knew who needed what in my class, I didn't need to
> see it on a wall.

Lori Jackson
District Literacy Coach & Mentor
Todd County School District