In my experience, getting anything published is incredibly labour intensive. If smart, successful publishers still do drafts by hand, then probably we will too?

What I know:

Except for very long-lived and frequently reviewed documents,
there's just not enough versioning in publishing to justify
complex source code control. It's just a matter of hand-crafted
drafts and final copy. Translation is the same: hand manipulation.

When you're working on your beautiful article (which we want),
most of the processing happens outside the system, in email
exchanges. Only when there's some element of finality do you
submit copy.

If you look at how newspapers and magazines work, they have big
production systems (some of them), but every line of content
still goes through a series of hands.

If we have some beautiful reference material, then that is
a different matter; we'd like to keep that versioned up to date
for sure.

So I propose email as the main method of managing editing,
versions and translations, with some exceptions for living
documents like references and wikis. The KISS principle.

- Nigel.