On Thu, 28 Oct 1999,Matt Stegman wrote:
  | >   | > The solution, then is to create the partitions using the DOS fdisk utility,
  | >   | > including the ones you want for Linux. Then restart the 'puter, and run
fdisk
  | >   | > again, but this time remove the partitions you want for Linux. Install
Win9x,
  | >   | > then install Linux, recreating the partitions with disk druid. I think
this will
  | >   | > work.
  | >   | >
  | >   | The problem with this, is that it makes the Linux
  | >   | partitions visible to Windows, which, I've heard, can cause
  | >   | corruption, as Windows tries to "fix" the "grunged" file
  | >   | system and can't.
  |
  | ... what?  This should definitely not happen!  Windows ignores partition
  | ttypes that aren't FAT or FAT32.  Windows can indeed see the partitions,
  | but fdisk for DOS is so limited that it doesn't display them correctly.
  | If Windows does not recognize the partition type, it ignores the
  | partition. I've never seen Windows try to "fix" a Linux filesystem.  When
  | did this happen to you?
  |
  | You should not create partitions for Linux under Windows.  Well, you can,
  | but you'll have to edit them later.  Windows will automatically set the
  | partition type to FAT.  In order to create an ext2 filesystem on the
  | partition, you first must change the partition type to Linux.  It's better
  | to simply not create partitions from Windows' fdisk unless they are
  | partitions to be used by Windows.
  |
  | > Even if yoy create the partitions in DOS, restart in DOS, remove the partitions
  | > for Linux, restart in DOS, Install Win, restart with Linux installer and create
  | > the partitions again with disk druid, DOS will still see the Linux partitions,
  | > and try to "fix" them? Hmmm... I didn't know that. I never tried it before for
  | > Linux, but it sounded right. I just thought that when the partitions were
  | > removed in DOS, they would just be empty space on the disk, or extended
  | > partition. Then you could do anything you wanted to with the space. Guess
  | > I gave the Redmond boys too much credit this time. Thanks for seting me
  | > straight.
  |
  | You sure are going about this the long way.  Why create partitions when
  | you're going to delete right away?  It's not like you have to fill up
  | the whole disk for DOS or anything.  Just create the partitions you need
  | for DOS in DOS, then format them and install your OS, then install Linux.
  | Disk druid or fdisk will let you create the Linux partitions during the
  | installation.  DOS/Windows should not try to touch your partitions at all.
  | The only problem might be if they have a FAT label in the partition table,
  | but a non-FAT filesystem on them.  That may cause Windows to "fix" the
  | partitions.  But it shouldn't happen, as long as you stick to creating an
  | OS's partitions with the right tool- DOS fdisk for DOS partitions, Linux
  | fdisk (or disk druid) for Linux partitions.
  |
  | -Matt Stegman
  | <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Yup, that's correct, but the original poster was trying to set up the
partitions in a particular order on the HD, and I was just trying to help with
this. I dunno if there is a compelling reason to do that on his/her system, but
it was a good mental exercise <grin>. I just figgured that if you want your DOS
and Linux partitions in a particular order for whatever reason, then the way to
do it is either with something like PartittionMagic, or mak'em all with DOS,
remove the ones where you want the Linux partitions, then create them again with
disk druid.

I told the poster I'm not a tech, but I figgure that if you want to set things
up in some particular order, or configuration, then it's your system, and it's
not my problem to wonder why. If you want to do things in a particular way on
your own system, you should be able to do it, and that's what these help lists
are all about, helping each other work out how to do whatever it is we want to
do, providing we are not hurting anyone else in the process, or that the doing
is not with malice.

Ernie