On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 19:53:46 +0000
John Richard Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Now one might be thinking that this indicates that there is a faulty
> CPU(Athlon 1800)
> but for the fact that W2k and Gordian knot can run my FSB-133 setting

Hmm. Not quite sure. I'd think the bus setting and maybe RAM - mprime is
going to work the RAM pretty heavy (so will gcc). mencoder does work ram
somewhat, but I would think it fairly sequential in access patterns.
Think a bit to what it's doing - grabbing a frame from a media,
analyzing the frame, going 2D through the frame looking at it and doing
a lot of transforms, conversions, and so forth, and throwing the results
into another file. A good portion of the time it's communicating with
the disk as well. Unless you're doing something really intensive with
mencoder, it's not going to stress the comp nearly as much as mprime
will. Gordian knot (I've never used it) might actually not use as much
of the CPU on Windows as a similar program would on Linux.

> and installed in W2K and run the test again from there. But for now
> food for thought.

I got that one for my brother's other CPU, a PIII/700 model that he's
been using Windows on for years (now he has also a Pentium 4). The thing
failed the test, amazingly enough. But he'll probably never switch to
linux :(.

I really don't think it's an interaction with the CPU and with Linux. If
the bus is running at 100mhz fsb, it's the same cpu when it's run at
133. My guess that it might be a bridge or RAM issue. Have you tried
other memory-intensive things - like 'make -j 100' in /usr/src/linux?
(That's a joke -- actually don't go that high, unless you have *gobs* of
RAM. I have 256 megs, and I did a make -j 25 once. It worked, amazingly
enough.)