On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:46:31 +0000
John Richard Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> one compiles , chopped up into sections for each section it's
> compiling and then the make has to be reassembled, the mind boddles at
> the prospect.

Well, it could do it for subdirectories. If you look at big source
trees, you see that much of the code is in subdirectories upon
subdirectories etc - a big tree. Start at the top level (/usr/src/linux,
for instance) and then do a 'make' in each subdirectory, all at the same
time (as long as some directory or other doesn't depend on other
results). Even something like 'make /usr/src/linux' (and many other
source trees) starts off doing a "top-level" make that in turn invokes
another make in the subdirectory, which in turn spawns other makes (and
compiles, of course) in those subordinate directories.

It may look mindboggling, but it's perfectly normal to have a dozen or
so copies of make all running. Of course they're not *all* running at
the same time (unless -j is used) but they take up some memory space. If
there's sufficient ram, it's a faster way to do it than to simply issue
a new make step for each source file in a serial fashion. It also makes
sense given a heirarchical setup.