On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 08:33:51 -0600
Tom Brinkman disseminated the following:

> > However, if it's the memory only, I could eliminate that
> > possibility with memtest, no?
>
>     You could start with memtest86, BUT  I've seen a lot of times
> that mprime will catch errors that memtest86 passes.  Memtest86
> is NOT just a ram test. Any software of this sort is of course
> testing and dependant on the whole system from the PSU on up.
> Particularly the motherboard is just as important as the ram
> used, for ram performance and reliability.
>
>     Many times ram errors, specially if the ram has been reliable
> in the past, can be solved by reseating the ram sticks, and/or
> swapping the slots their in. Of course clean the contacts also.
> Rubbing lightly across them with with a pencil eraser. Also, as
> electronic components age, it's often helpful to increase the
> voltage to them a little (if your mobo supports doin so).

As alway, thanks Tom. You da hardware *man*!

I'll try the software (after giving the hardware a goin' over) and see how it
goes. 'D be a shame to give up on that little P166, it's served me very well.

--
JoeHill ++ ICQ # 280779813
Registered Linux user #282046