On Thursday 29 January 2004 09:48 am, JoeHill wrote:
> However, if it's the memory only, I could eliminate that
> possibility with memtest, no?

  Maybe, memtest86 isn't as good a test. Just a place to start. It
doesn't test ram as the name suggests, but the whole system is
involved.  It might error on another components' weakness.

   It's popular because it's lite weight an easy. OTOH, bad ram is
a first likely suspect. Often cleaning the contacts or just
swapping slots will often fix memtest86 complaints.

   After all, Spirit Rover on Mars has a fixable problem. Marginal
ram ;)  Seems it's runnin BSD* on a Motorola chip. I doubt if
memtest86 will sort it out tho.
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas