On Thursday 29 January 2004 09:48 am, JoeHill wrote:
> >      If it errors, it just puts out a mesg that it stopped on
> > hardware errors.   As with any stress test, it's then up to
> > you to sort out if it's cooling, PSU, cpu/cache/ram,
> > motherboard, etc.
>
> Well, if it's the MOBO or CPU, then I'm not gonna bother trying
> to fix it, it's not worth it. It's served it's time well
> enough.
>
> However, if it's the memory only, I could eliminate that
> possibility with memtest, no?

    You could start with memtest86, BUT  I've seen a lot of times
that mprime will catch errors that memtest86 passes.  Memtest86
is NOT just a ram test. Any software of this sort is of course
testing and dependant on the whole system from the PSU on up.
Particularly the motherboard is just as important as the ram
used, for ram performance and reliability.

    Many times ram errors, specially if the ram has been reliable
in the past, can be solved by reseating the ram sticks, and/or
swapping the slots their in. Of course clean the contacts also.
Rubbing lightly across them with with a pencil eraser. Also, as
electronic components age, it's often helpful to increase the
voltage to them a little (if your mobo supports doin so).
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas