Tom Brinkman wrote:

cpu temp 50C
System temp 32C

Both of these will go up about 5C when you just boot into the OS. Under load, that will climb about another 10C or more.

No, it stays the same about 50C on desktop,
the maximum rise is to about 56C on full
load conditions and the cpu usage up to 90+%,
and in any case the bios is currently set
to shut down at 60C, so it would never
be allowed to reach the temperatures you suggest.

However this is going to shock you.
AMD appear to sanction a maximum die temperature of 90 C,
yes I repeat 90C, I know,
how can anything electrical survive at 90C,
beats me and I would never allow that on principle,
but judge for yourself.

John

Later
=====
The spec sheet supplied was unreadable, sorry,
but ,
Better still is AMD technical support reply :-
Dear Mr Smith,

Thank you for your interest in the AMD range of products.
The maximum operating temperature of your AMD processor is 85C.
The operating temperature of a system or processor is highly dependent on the characteristics of the system as a whole and the combination of components that make up the system.
Consequently, the "normal" operating temperature will vary from system to system, depending on each system's make-up. Some of the variables that affect the operating temperature of a system are: case size, air flow characteristics, installed components, processor speed, processor heatsink/fan solution, thermal interface material, power supply, voltage settings, workload, and ambient air temperature.

An approximation to the typical reading
from a BIOS or an external software utility
is expected to be around 60ºC-65ºC or lower.

I hope this will help you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Best regards,

Frank Hoehn   mcse
Technical Support Engineer

AMD European Technical Services Centre
www.amd.com/eurosupport

This merely confirms my previous assumption that my
AMD AthlonXP palamino operating temperate range of
between 49C to 56C is currently within technical
specs of the manufacturers recommendations.
It is unlikely to be the cause of premature system seizure
under full load cpu conditions, I think. I will keep an
open mind though.

So the voltages supplied to the system seems OK,
The cpu operting temperatures seem OK right up to and
under full load conditions.

So it would start to suggest either, memory,
Mobo, kernel, or app.
Well that's how it seems to me.

I am now trying to ascertain an exact description of
the memory stick. Here in the uk the suppliers don't
co-operate that much. They don't seem to think one
should ask questions about memory suppliers, and the
sticks themselves often don't reveal that much.

I will come back with whatever I can find out.
In the meantime I would welcome some suggestions
as to how I could put the memory stick to a real test
situation. Somethng that just eliminates all doubt.
I don't know how to do that. I have used memtest before
and it passed the test fine. As Tom says, it probably
isn't that defining a tests as it might be, I don't know.
But since I'm trying to get to the bottom of this
eliminating all doubts on the hardware has to be the
main task ahead of me at this time.

John

--
John Richard Smith