David E. Fox wrote:

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 12:50:23 +0000
John Richard Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I have 512MB of DDR ram, but sorry I don't understand the rference, make -j 100

# of parallel compiles: i.e., make -j 4 issues 4 gcc's on files in parallel. If you have a big source tree, or gobs of RAM, or multiple processors, you can get the job done faster. Obviously, there's an upper limit: -j 100 implies 100 copies of gcc (plus other things) running all at one time. Obviously, you would not want to do this unless your box had adequate spped & memory.

I've done a 'make -j 25' successfully on /usr/src/linux. But it was kind
of painful. Some might consider it a decent stress tester of the overall
system (disk/cpu/cashe/ram) because it can stress all these areas.

Thank you David,
Now that you point it's meaning out to me I fully understand.
I can imagine, 100 compiles running side by side, gosh.
As a matter of interst How does it apportion the task, I mean , your've got
one compiles , chopped up into sections for each section it's compiling
and then the make has to be reassembled, the mind boddles at the prospect.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]