JoeHill wrote:

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 12:30:18 -0600
Tom Brinkman disseminated the following:

You're in the directory the binary is in. You need to run
'./mprime -m' And run it as user, not root. The first time it'll ask you if you want to connect to the mprime server, say n, it won't ask again, and the menu will be displayed, choose 17.

Would this test be of any use on an old P166? My webserver is crapping out on me and I don't know why. It's an old machine, could be the processor, RAM, I did swap the HD, so I'm fairly sure it's not that.

I'm assuming this 'mprime' would output some diagnostic info on what might be wrong?

It will certainly test your system to the limit.
Don't know if it will provide much analysis.
It's designed to fulfill a long tern maths enquiry.
How can I put it in simple terms,
You know how the value of Pi (of circumference) is a
never ending sum=3 1/7,  goes on for ever, well mprime
does something different looking for special
numbers that take eons of calculus to find.
So your processor works overtime looking
for these numbers, and that tests it till
eventually it overloads and hangs, eventually.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]