On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 09:52:35 -0600
Tom Brinkman disseminated the following:

> > Anyway, I put everything back together, and I've been running
> > mprime for the past 6 -7 hours, no errors, no problems. Could
> > it be that the improperly seated NIC was the cause of all the
> > instability? I'm hopin' so, I really want that server back in
> > biz.
>
>       Yep, and I've seen/heard of even stranger things ;)

Call me crazy, but I think the probs my server box were having were spilling
over to my wkstn.

When the server started crashing all the time, my wkstn would have constant
segfaults and FS lockups, requiring a reboot. I shut the server down, and since
not connecting to it with Samba shares or SSH, my wkstn:

10:02:59 up 16 days, 11:05,  4 users,  load average: 0.03, 0.03, 0.00

Could a badly seated NIC on the server could cause another box communicating
with it to complain?

In any case, cross my fingers, the server looks like it's stable again.

My new mantra: user --> hardware --> OS ;-)

--
JoeHill ++ ICQ # 280779813
Registered Linux user #282046