---------------------------------
[18] Rodney Marsh on United
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Manchester United look a bit shaky of late. Defeat by Bolton last weekend following
their Champions League reverse to Deportivo. And the 3-0 victory over Olympiakos in
midweek flattered them.  They were nowhere near their best but then Fergie brings on
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and that's that...United are through to the second stage of the
Champions League. No, it's not a case of  Fergie getting it wrong for the first 70
minutes more that the manager is an absolute master at changing things just when
required!

There's been a lot debate about the wisdom of United playing the 4-4-1-1 formation.
Despite recent results I agree with the way they are attempting to play. Why? Because
I hate the 4-4-2 formation at the highest level as I believe picking up and marking
two strikers is a lot easier.   Yet while I approve of 4-4-1-1, I'm just not sure Paul
Scholes is the right one to play behind a lone front man. He's great; an absolutely
terrific player but more someone who plays the one-twos, presses ahead, gets in the
box and scores goals - as opposed to the creative, attacking playmaker capable of
pinging balls across the park as is required for this role.

Now it must be said that I am not the person to even attempt to second guess Sir Alex
Ferguson's next majestic move or decision on this matter. However, if I WAS the United
manager then I'd opt for Juan Sebastian Veron. By the way, what a player this lad is.
He is a real player's player, a  sensational talent who can do it all and then some.
He loves going forward and has all the ability to fill the role behind one striker.

I'd still play Scholes as well, maybe flipping between the two as the support man -
but for me Veron linking with Ruud van Nistelrooy would work. So maybe Fergie has the
right set up and wrong personel.

At the back, though, is where they appear to have the most serious trouble. There has
been a big hole left by Jaap Stam. Losing him was a  massive blow and I seem to
recall, Harry, that I said back then that Blanc was a band-aid solution. Well, he is
yet to come to terms with the Premiership. All the while United remain vulnerable in
the air at the back. They are liable to concede  from crosses at any time currently.
The news this week  Ronny Johnsen is out injured for three months after further knee
surgery will compound the defensive problem. The fact is that Wes Brown has been
struggling of late while United can't make up their mind who is the best left back -
Denis Irwin or Michel Silvestre."

---------------------------------
[17] More from Mills
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Manchester United put out a quality team against Bolton, a different quality team
against Olympiakos and they'll probably field another quality side against us. It is
hard to say if they are vulnerable at the moment. They haven't dominated this time —
but they are still in contention."

In contention? More than that you cheeky...

---------------------------------
[16] Sheep on tomorrow
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
Danny Mills:

"We've had a good week to prepare and rest up so hopefully we'll come out all guns
blazing. We're going there full of confidence as we're still top of the table — and we
will be aiming to stay top. Although Manchester United are not as dominant this season
as they were at the back end of last season, they still have fantastic players. Every
player in their squad is capable of doing something that little bit special. Their
philosophy is 'you score three and we'll score four' — but we will go out believing we
can win. I think we have shown in the last two seasons that we have the potential to
win the league. Now the time has come to prove it. We need to finish at least in a
Champions League place and win a trophy. We have to start delivering, otherwise we
will be discounted as a 'there or thereabouts team' every season. No one here wants
that."

---------------------------------
[15] Reserves win
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
Utd reserves beat Aston Villa last night - team contained Webber, Fortune, Phil
Neville, Carroll, May, Chadwick, O'Shea, Djordic and Clegg.

---------------------------------
[14] Apt name
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
According to the Daily Record city are interested in buying Iverness Caledonian
Thistle striker Dennnis Wyness.

Or is that Wynless?

---------------------------------
[13] Bestie on Veron
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
"If he keeps going the way he is, he could well end up with the same reputation as
Eric. With him in the side, anything is possible for Manchester United."

---------------------------------
[12] More from Veron
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I have only just arrived. I hope I can do as well as he did. I have my own style and
we're not too similar but I'd like to copy his success. If I can give the supporters
what they want, then maybe I can become an idol as well. I am very content with life
at Manchester United, I am comfortable here. The club have done a lot to help me
settle and I hope to repay them by helping realise the wishes of everyone here."

---------------------------------
[11] Veron = Eric?
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
Sabre:

"Even though comparisons should never be made, I still feel very complimented to be
compared to Eric Cantona. Before I arrived in Manchester I was aware that he was
important. But only since being here have I come to realise how important he was. I've
seen the pictures around the training ground and heard from people what an important
person he was. I know the impact he made here. He was at this club for a long time and
did a great many things."

---------------------------------
[10] Ruud knows he's a Red now
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
"It is a compliment that Sir Alex Ferguson has paid me to say I am the best
centre-forward in Europe, but I have to remember there are so many good players around
me. We try so hard to succeed and that is something I have grown to realise in the
months of being here. Perhaps for me this is the moment when I realised it and really
became a United player."

---------------------------------
[9] Article by Sarah
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
Well last Saturday saw a strange occurance, me not at the match. Due to a serious lack
of money I had to give up my ticket and actually miss a home game. A very hard thing
to do but it's alright to do it now and again, just to let you know that you CAN miss
a home game and survive.

Now, anyone who missed a home game has a number of choices such as get pissed in a
pub, sit glued to century or go shopping. I can't bear listening to games on the
radio, pure torture, so the only option was to become an Arndale rat for the day. The
Arndale is a dive and is full of the local scallies who seem to have little to do but
hang around their 'sewer' all day long in their tracksuits and Rockports, making a
strawberry milkshake last an hour in Maccy Ds.

Now ticketless reds know the regular haunts on a Saturday afternoon are Box Clever and
Dixons. Though the guys at Box Clever did not have the right channel on, bastards.
Dixons don't mind though and as the
events 'unfolded' on Teletext the panic was starting to set in.

Now, we lost the game in the end and I blame it all on Virgin Trains and United should
contact claims direct for their loss. There I was at the station waiting for my train
and standing tall at the station was, trainspotters take note, a Virgin train with
'red devils' on the side. Well, it's an omen I thought naively as it was 1-1 at this
stage. But then, and no word of a lie, another Virgin train pulled into the
station with 'the Bolton Wanderer' on the side, pulling in front of the 'red devils'
train. That's it, I thought, Bolton have scored the winner, and they had. The operator
of Virgin trains that day was obviously a blue (well the trains do go through
Stockport don't
they?). Boycott Virgin trains, you know it makes sense.

---------------------------------
[8] PSV deny United link
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
for Mark van Bommel could be joining Ruud van
Nistelrooy at Old Trafford.

PSV press and communications manager Pedro Salazar-Hewitt:

"We have had enquiries from various agents telling us that they can  put him into
English Premiership clubs - but they haven't said which
clubs they would be. We have not had any official contact, certainly not from
Manchester  United. Mark is happy at PSV. He has just signed a new extension to his
contract to stay here until 2005 - so I do not think he is wanting to move."

---------------------------------
[7] Red goes out on loan
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
Mark Lynch to St Johnstone in a three-month loan deal.

---------------------------------
[6] Leeds trial latest
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'A window cleaner who said he saw Leeds United's Jonathan Woodgate "lash out" at a
student told a court he had not mentioned the incident to police. Andrew Clarke told
Hull Crown Court he saw Woodgate try to kick at a group of Asians in Leeds city
centre. But under cross examination he agreed he had failed to tell this to police in
two earlier statements.

David Fish, QC, for Woodgate, accused Mr Clarke of giving a "wholly inaccurate"
account of events on the night 21-year-old student Sarfraz Najeib was beaten senseless
in a street attack. Mr Clarke said that when he was giving his statements to police he
was nervous about becoming involved in the trial.

He said in his statements that he was in his lorry on Boar Lane, having a break with
workmate Ron Varley. He saw a group of Asian youths being chased by a group of white
men including Woodgate, who he recognised from his interest in football. He said
Woodgate, 21, slipped or tripped and fell - but had not said it happened when he was
attempting to kick one of the Asians.'

---------------------------------
[5] Sporting Odds advert
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
For more details click on the link below on the site

SINGLES CLUB

SportingOdds, are one of the first firms to offer singles on every game in the
Premiership, Nationwide Divisions 1, 2, and 3 as well as the Nationwide Conference. In
addition they update the odds on every Premiership game at half time.

Highlight of the football program this weekend is the match between Man Utd and Leeds
at Old Trafford. However, the last Leeds win in this fixture was 20 years ago and
accordingly Man Utd are priced at 4/5 with SportingOdds to take the spoils again this
weekend and 12/1 to repeat last year's score line of 3-0.

Argentinean superstar Juan Sebastian Veron has already netted 4 times in 7 Premiership
games for United and if you back Veron to score first and United to win 2-1, a £10
stake could net you £500.

SportingOdds, are one of the first firms to offer singles on every game in the
Premiership and in addition they update the odds on every Premiership game at half
time. To go to SportingOdds, click on the link below:
( http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0 )
http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0

Lower down the divisions, pre-season favourites for promotion Reading face top of the
table Brentford at the Madejski Stadium. Reading have a disappointing record at home
recently and have scored just 2 goals in 4 league encounters. Brentford's 5-1 win at
home to Bury on Tuesday was their 5th straight win and at 9/5 with SportingOdds, Steve
Coppell's boys look worth a punt.

In the 3rd Division, Rushden and Diamonds, who face Mansfield town, completed an 8
match unbeaten run with their 2-0 win over Shrewsbury on Tuesday night. Mansfield's
brand of flowing football has seen them climb to 4th in the table and this could well
be too much for Rushden given their indifferent home record (2 Wins, 3 Draws, 2
Losses). Mansfield are available at a huge 7/4 with SportingOdds to carry off the
spoils on Saturday.

Selections:
- Man Utd 8/11
- Brentford 9/5
- Mansfield 7/4

For even better value, a £10 stake on a treble on the above selections nets you £123.

To bet on these selections, please click on the link below:
( http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0 )
http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0

* Please note that these prices are correct at time of writing and are subject to
fluctuation.

[4] More France-FIFA-Aus hassle
Posted Friday, October 26, 2001 by bar-knee: